Kike Calvo Fotografía

miércoles, 16 de noviembre de 2011

The Photographic Chain: Tom Kennedy

The Photographic Chain: Five minutes with…TOM KENNEDY
By KIKE CALVO


My dreams is… to have photojournalism be a strong force for creating a better world, and to have audience demanding more of publications to show that kind of work.


Professor Tom Kennedy, now Alexia Tsairis Chair for Documentary Photography
at the Newhouse School Syracuse University, discussing an assignment with photography
student Blair Dudik (photo by Maria Salatino)



The biggest lesson in my career… that as Director of Photography, supporting the work of photographers isn’t enough. Understanding how people and authority view photographers, will or will not create the conditions that allow them to succeed. You need to be better managing up, as well as managing down, engaging with the photographers and trying to understand them.


The biggest lesson in my life… is that love conquers all.


The moment I will never forget... Two: The moment my daughter was born and the unfolding first hour of the attacks of 911. Both made me feel the enormity of human experience, very powerful, yet in different ways.


Photography is... a language that allows people to powerfully and spiritually worlds that may never see in first hand.

Kike´s thoughts: The first word that comes to my mind when I think of Tom is ¨gentleman¨. Gentleman on the personal side, ¨gentleman of journalism¨ on the professional side. He was Managing Editor for Multimedia at The Washington Post and Director of Photography for the National Geographic Magazine for ten years. He has created, directed, and edited visual journalism projects that have earned Pulitzer Prizes, as well as EMMY, Peabody, and Edward R. Murrow awards. Since I approached him, he was always helpful and honest. Once I started digging into his career, I must admit I was impressed. The Newhouse School of Syracuse University, has the honor of having him as a professor. I am very grateful to Tom for supporting my project, and devoting the time to share this knowledge and thought with us at The Photographic Chain. Thank You Tom!


The Time Machine:




So who is … Tom?
More about Tom: http://kennedymedia.net/

Tom suggests me to talk to:
Maggie Steber, a freelance photojournalist from Miami; Colin Crawford, the managing editor for photography at The Los Angeles Times, and Bob Sacha, an independent photojournalist/multimedia producer.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario