Kike Calvo Fotografía

sábado, 14 de mayo de 2011

The Photographic Chain: ART WOLFE



Five Minutes with ART WOLFE
by KIKE CALVO




My dream is… that the rest of humanity could appreciate this world as I do, cherish it, respect it, and protect it. I have shared my images with the world and it would be my dream that through them, others will see how important it is to do what we can to save this planet during our temporary stay. I have been photographing around the world for over 30 years, I have been privileged to see some of the most beautiful places on this planet, been introduced to remote cultures and met countless wonderful people along the way.

The biggest lesson in my career… Never stop looking. No matter where you are. There are good photos all around us, you just have to keep looking. When you've approached a subject and shot it, keep looking; change your angles, change your lens. When you feel stuck, keep looking. When the light is poor, think macro, and keep looking. Just never stop looking and then ultimately seeing. My best images are never the first ones I've shot of a subject, it's the ones that came later as I worked the subject, looking for different angles and approaches that have pleased me most.


The biggest lesson in my life… came when I was in middle school growing up in West Seattle. I had always enjoyed painting and began painting rural scenes and landscapes. It was when the teachers at my school purchased my paintings for 50-60 dollars each that I knew I would be able to make a living with my art. Though I transitioned to photography as an adult, I've never stopped or deviated from that path which I set upon so many years ago.

The moment I will never forget... was photographing a white rhinoceros and my assistant and I were charged by the animal. The only thing that saved us from serious injury and an untimely end was a single banyan tree in the landscape. The roots of the tree were up above the surrounding soil, allowing us to cram our bodies down in-between the roots while the rhino pawed, thrust and rammed at us, just barely out of harm’s way. It was a terrifying ordeal, one I do not wish to repeat. Covered in snot, slobber and dirt we emerged alive and no, I didn't get the shot. It's easy to get lost behind the lens, to get wrapped up in the moment and to feel "safe" but this was a very strong reminder that safety can be very fleeting when the situation turns on you.

Photography is... My passion. My medium. My story. A chance to share with others some of the beautiful corners of the earth captured through my lens. The ability to bridge different worlds and forge friendships as one takes a digital capture of a remote culture and turns the camera around for them to see themselves perhaps for the first time. Photography can bring out an emotional response in people: change the way they look at a situation, change minds, and change attitudes. Photography is powerful.

Kike´s thoughts: When I think of Art Wolfe, I recall different moments in my life seeking inspiration along my career. Looking at his work brought me directly into nature. Someone whom I saw that was able to develop photographic master pieces, while maintaining a successful business. I recall a friendly conversation we had a long time ago over the phone, when he was driving to Alaska to film a TV show. I must say it was an honor to win two editions in his photography contest, including the conservation category (2010) and the underwater category (2008).

The Time Machine:









So who is… Art ?

More about Art: www.artwolfe.com

Art suggest me to talk to: Gavriel Jecan, David duChemin and Jay Goodrich.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada